I-84 WB 23 Off Ramp to be Closed and Traffic Detoured for 48-Hours Starting, November 17 at 9:30 PM
Hamilton Ave & On/Off Ramp Traffic Patterns to be Revised
Beginning Thursday night, November 17, there will be changes in the Hamilton Avenue Bridge vicinity as follows:
I-84 Westbound (WB)
- Temporarily Close WB 23 Off Ramp and Detour Traffic: The existing WB 23 off ramp will close. WB Exit 23-bound traffic will be detoured to WB Exit 22 for a 48-hour period (see Westbound 23 Off Ramp Detour map and route details below*).
I-84 Eastbound (EB)
- Close EB 23 On Ramp: The existing EB 23 on ramp east of Hamilton Avenue Bridge will be closed to allow for the construction of the eastern portion of Hamilton Avenue Bridge and a new ramp bridge.
- Open New EB 23 On Ramp: This new temporary on ramp from Hamilton Avenue will follow the path of the EB 23 off ramp heading west, then loop around to the east, with traffic entering I-84 EB, west of Hamilton Avenue Bridge, and going under the bridge.
- Shift Traffic on Hamilton Avenue Bridge: Traffic will shift onto the new western portion of Hamilton Avenue Bridge to allow for construction of the eastern portion.
Beginning Friday, November 18, there will be additional changes in the Hamilton Avenue Bridge vicinity as follows:
- Construct New WB 23 Off Ramp: The final connection between the new WB 23 off ramp and the newly constructed western half of the Hamilton Avenue Bridge will take place Friday, November 18 through Saturday, November 19. The new WB 23 off ramp will open Saturday, November 19.
If weather issues occur, the opening would be delayed until Sunday, November 20.
WB 23 Off Ramp Detour:* WB Exit 23-bound traffic will be detoured to WB Exit 22 for a 48-hour period, Thursday, November 17 through Saturday, November 19.
Westbound traffic will continue on WB I-84 and take WB Exit 22.
At the end of the ramp:
- Hamilton Avenue-bound traffic will bear right.
- Mall-bound traffic will go straight.
- Downtown Waterbury-bound traffic will bear left.